|Separate Peace Study Questions
Assigned questions will be collected on the last day of the week.
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
- Where does the story take place?
- What three places does Gene go back to visit? How has each changed?
- Define the literary technique of flashback.
- What time period does the novel take place in?
- Why do the boys attending the summer session jump out of the tree?
- Why are Gene and Finny late for dinner? What is Genes reaction to this?
- Why do the Masters treat the boys differently during the summer session?
- Why does Finny wear the pink shirt? Explain your answer.
- What is the adults reaction to Finnys pink shirt?
- What is the point of The Suicide Society of the Summer Session?
- Who are the charter members of the society?
- What is Genes reaction to Finny practically saving his life? Why?
- What is Blitzkrieg Ball? Who invented the game?
- What type of character is Leper?
- Why does the adult Gene call the age of sixteen the Crucial and natural age?
- What school sports record does Finny break?
- Why doesnt he tell anyone about breaking the record?
- What are Genes feelings about Finnys secret record?
- Where do Gene and Finny go instead of studying?
- How does Gene describe his first sunset?
- What doesnt Finny understand about Genes goals in school?
- What are the two realizations Gene comes to about Finny?
- Why doesnt Finny think that Gene needs to study?
- What is Genes reaction to the truth about Finny?
- Explain the action at the end of the chapter?
- What injuries does Finny sustain from his fall from the tree?
- Why doesnt Gene tell Finny the truth?
- Why does Finny Apologize to Gene?
- What are Finnys rules for living?
- Why has peace deserted Devon?
- Who is Quackenbush? What type of person is he?
- What activity does Gene sign up for? Why?
- Why do Gene and Quackenbush get into a fight?
- What does Finny think about Genes choice of activity? Explain.
- Who is Brinker Hadley?
- What does Brinker mean when he accuses Gene of practically fratricide?
- What does the mock trial in the Butt Room show the reader about Gene?
- How come Leper doesnt volunteer to shovel snow from the railroad tracks?
- How do the boys react to the passing train? Why?
- How will Finnys return affect life at Devon?
- What differences does Finny notice about Devon? Why are these changes happening?
- How does Gene fell about Finnys return?
- What does Finny tell Gene he believes about the war?
- Before the fall, what was Finnys dream?
- How does Finny deal with the loss of his dream? How does Gene fell about this?
- Who is the first student to enlist in the army? Why?
- Who comes up with the idea for the winter festival? Why?
- List the events that take place at the festival.
- What are the awards to be won at the festival?
- Who sends Gene a telegram? What does it say?
- What does Leper mean when he says he escaped?
- Describe the changes that have occurred in Leper?
- What caused these changes?
- What does Leper mean by telling Gene of the savage underneath?
- What does Leper accuse Gene of doing? Why?
- Why do Gene and Brinker and Finny get into a fight?
- What does Gene tell everybody about Leper? What is their reaction?
- Why does Finny compare himself to Caesar? Why might this be important in terms of the novel?
- Why does Brinker set up the trial? Explain your answer.
- Who is the surprise witness? What testimony does he give?
- What is Finnys reaction to the truth?
- What is the prognosis for Finny?
- Why does Gene go to visit Finny?
- What do we find out about Finny and the war? Why is this important?
- Describe Finny and Genes relationship after the second fall.
- What is Finnys fate at the end of the chapter? Explain why.
- Why cant Gene cry?
- What happens to each character after graduation?
- Why doesnt Gene ever talk about Finny? Explain.
- How has Gene come to grips with his actions?
- Where is Finny to Gene? Explain your answer.
See me before or after school in room 301 with any questions.